Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Spirit of Blogging ~ A Call to Leaders



It’s lonely at the top” is a phrase heard often about leadership.  It’s a phrase that I found to be true early in my school administrative career. When I began my career in education as a teacher and coach, I was part of a large community. There were lots of teachers at the school where I worked, and the coaches of the teams my athletes competed against became life-long friends. I was able to work with others who were doing what I did on a daily basis, and learning from them helped me to become a better teacher and coach.  

Ten years ago, as I transitioned to being a school administrator, the number of people around me who understood my job and responsibilities became smaller. I still wanted to learn, but I didn’t feel like I had the pool of resources that I had when I was a teacher.

Today, through the power of twitter and blogging and other social media, I don’t feel the isolation I once felt. Today, I can reach out to one of my many friends in my PLN and ask for feedback, advice, or encouragement. I can connect with leaders across the country (and world) who are doing what I do, who have been where I’m going, or who can help me to see what I cannot yet see.

Through my blog, I have been able to reflect on what I do and share what I’m doing and learning with others. It’s been very satisfying to get feedback that ranges from how to improve to “atta girl.” 

Recently, I contacted Craig Vroom about starting a group of blogging educators who commit to posting monthly, visiting each other’s blogs, leaving comments, and sharing via social media. We want to get better at what we do, we want to be a part of a community, and we find value in collaboration. We want to connect with, learn from, and share with YOU!

We hope that you will join us on this journey!

Edited 2022: During the summer of 2021, we said goodbye to the Compelled Bloggers Community, as we all moved into different directions in our personal and professional lives.


5 comments:

  1. Jennifer I would be honored to be a part of this project. This is so powerful! Thank you for initiating this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, we are blessed to have you as a part of our tribe. We will be starting up soon, so be on the look out for an email from Craig or me. Looking forward to it!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Totally want to join the tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea!!! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I plan on taking this back to the ISTE EdTech Coaches PLN to do something similar. Will give credit, of course! Do you have any suggestions for forming a similar group?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super idea! I am always honored to learn from those who lead.

    ReplyDelete